Bill No.: HB0090 Drafter: DKG
LSO No.: 08LSO-0047 Effective Date: 7/1/2008
Enrolled Act No.: HEA0025
Prime Sponsor: Joint Judiciary Interim Committee
Catch Title: Carbon capture and sequestration.
Subject: Creates a regulatory scheme for geologic CO2 storage.
· Directs the Wyoming department of environmental quality (DEQ) to develop standards for regulating long-term, geologic storage of carbon dioxide (CO2) in Wyoming under the current Underground Injection Control program.
· Provides a list of specific information that is required in permit applications for CO2 storage injection wells.
· Allows the DEQ to issue permits for pilot-scale CO2 sequestration and storage projects under current rules and regulations.
· Requires the State Oil and Gas Supervisor, State Geologist and Director of DEQ to convene a working group to develop an appropriate bonding procedure and provides a $250,000 appropriation for the working group.
· The Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Committee will maintain jurisdiction over commercial, non-storage activities.
· Soon, the federal environmental protection agency may pass regulations on CO2 sequestration and storage. This bill requires the DEQ director to recommend changes to Wyoming's law to promote equivalency and consistency.
· The working group created in the bill must report back to the Joint Judiciary and Joint Minerals, Business and Economic Development Interim Committees by September 30, 2009.
· The DEQ and Oil and Gas Conservation Commission must annually report to the Joint Judiciary and Joint Minerals, Business and Economic Development Interim Committees by November 1st.