Bill No.: HB0085 Drafter: DKG
LSO No.: 09LSO-0361 Effective Date: 7/1/2009
Enrolled Act No.: HEA0107
Chapter No.: 210
Prime Sponsor: Representative Blake
Catch Title: Motor vehicle chain law.
Subject: Motor vehicles
The act amends the existing law regarding requirements to use chains during adverse weather conditions. The act:
· Allows the director of the department of transportation to restrict travel to only necessary emergency vehicles, vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires or tire chains and all-wheel drive motor vehicles.
· Allows the director of the department of transportation to further restrict travel on roadways during extremely hazardous conditions to only necessary emergency vehicles, vehicles using tire chains and all-wheel drive vehicles utilizing snow tires with mud and snow or all-weather ratings and tread depths adequate to provide sufficient traction.
· Establishes that travel restrictions are effective when signs giving notice are erected upon the restricted portion of the highway.
· Requires drivers of commercial vehicles to affix chains to at least two of the drive wheels at opposite ends of the same drive axle.
· Defines what is an adequate tire chain.
· Provides penalties for persons not complying with the act, including higher fines if noncompliance leads to an incident which causes a lane of traffic to be closed.