Bill No.: HB0173 Drafter: DRN
LSO No.: 09LSO-0439 Effective Date: 7/1/2009
Enrolled Act No.: HEA0069
Chapter No.: 121
Prime Sponsor: Representative McKim
Catch Title: Teacher shortage loan repayment program.
Subject: Wyoming teacher shortage loan repayment program providing college loans and partial loan repayment for teacher education in specified subject areas.
· Under current law, the loan repayment program is available to students enrolled in a University of Wyoming teacher education program leading to certification in special education, math, science or foreign language instruction;
· Loan qualification criteria requires the student applicant to apply for federal financial assistance;
· Loans received under the program may be partially repaid if the loan recipient teaches in a Wyoming public school in the subject area for which the loan was issued;
· The program is expanded under this bill to students enrolled in a University of Wyoming teacher education program leading to an additional endorsement to teach reading or English as a second language;
· Loan qualification for students seeking an additional endorsement excludes application for federal financial assistance, and bases loan amounts upon cost of attendance criteria established by the Wyoming community college commission.