Bill No.: HB0281 Drafter: JWL
LSO No.: 09LSO-0523 Effective Date: 7/1/2009
Enrolled Act No.: HEA0081
Chapter No.: 140
Prime Sponsor: Representative Landon
Catch Title: Telemedicine-state system.
Subject: Authorizes collaborative promotion of an interoperative statewide telemedicine/telehealth network.
· Current law at W.S. 9-2-117(a)(vi) directs the Office of Rural Health ("the Office") within the Department of Health to coordinate and plan the development of a statewide telemedicine capability.
· This act amends that direction to the Office and adds additional detail by providing that:
· The Office collaborate with the state health officer and the state chief information officer to facilitate the planning and operation of a telemedicine/telehealth network;
· The Office represent the Department in a consortium of state agencies, private health organization and professional and community organizations to facilitate the operation of a statewide interoperative telemedicine/telehealth network;
· The network use existing Internet, videoconferencing and telecommunication services to the extent possible;
· The consortium promote statewide standards, definitions and standards for electronic health transactions, and conduct education for users regarding security;
· The Office and state CIO coordinate with state agencies to provide incentives for secure telemedicine/telehealth exchanges under Medicaid.