Bill No.: SF0023 Drafter: JWL
LSO No.: 09LSO-0245 Effective Date: 3/2/2009
Enrolled Act No.: SEA0042
Chapter No.: 111
Prime Sponsor: Senator Massie
Catch Title: Accelerated nursing degree loan repayment program.
Subject: Creates accelerated RN degree and loan repayment program.
Summary/Major Elements: This act:
· Creates a new program at the University of Wyoming to grant bachelor of science in nursing degrees to persons who have another bachelor's degree;
· Creates a special account for the accelerated nursing degree program to be operated by the University;
· Requires that students enrolling in the program have a baccalaureate degree in a field other than nursing and be approved by the president and the board of nursing;
· Provides up to $25,000/year/student in financial aid;
· Requires students to work as a registered nurse in Wyoming for two years following graduation or to repay the financial aid, except in cases of hardship as determined by the president and board of trustees;
· Authorizes loan deferral during military service.
· Creates the accelerated baccalaureate nursing degree program.
· Reappropriates $250,000 general funds from the Wyoming investment in nursing program to the University for loans to up to six nursing students per class cohort.
· Requires annual report by Oct. 1 from UW to the joint labor, health and social services interim committee regarding repayment waivers and expenditures from the accelerated nursing special account.